Our Local Counsel Attorneys Are:
- Prepared to act immediately to remove a case to federal court, file responsive pleadings, preserve a statute of limitations, seek or defend against a temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction, draft responsive pleadings, or take other time-sensitive action.
- Knowledgeable regarding applicable procedural rules, including the Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure, Ohio Rules of Evidence, Ohio Rules of Appellate Procedure, and their federal counterparts.
- Knowledgeable regarding local rules and Judges’ standing orders in the Southern District of Ohio, Northern District of Ohio, and Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as state courts located in Hamilton County (Cincinnati, Ohio), surrounding counties (Butler, Warren, and Clermont), Montgomery County (Dayton, Ohio) and Franklin County (Columbus, Ohio).
- Familiar with local Judges and their unique chambers practices.
- Deeply involved in the local legal community.
- Adept at navigating myriad procedural issues, including jurisdiction/venue strategy, removal jurisdiction, requests for injunctive relief, class action procedure, motions brought under Rule 12(b) and its Ohio counterpart, summary judgment requests, federal abstention doctrines, choice-of-law determinations, discovery procedures, sanctions requests, and other complex issues.
- Highly successful in complex civil litigation matters, including seven-figure recoveries for plaintiff clients in commercial litigation and personal injury cases, favorable outcomes in defense matters, and obtaining preliminary injunctive relief. Read about our results.
- Exceptionally qualified to handle appeals, particularly in the Supreme Court of Ohio, Ohio’s First and Tenth District Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Organized, responsive, and proactive, with robust internal case management procedures.
- Flexible. We gladly accept full responsibility for the case, including drafting, discovery, depositions, dispositive motion practice, and trial, or we can take a more limited role. Regardless, we respect the existing attorney-client relationship.
Ohio State & Federal Courts
We serve as local counsel for lawyers in state courts located in Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Toledo, and Cleveland. We also handle cases in all federal courts in Ohio, including:
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
Frequently Asked Questions Related to Ohio Local Counsel Services
Pro hac vice admission has existed since at least 1735 when it was employed in the free speech case of Crown v. Peter Zenger. With mass tort litigation and MDL on the rise in Ohio’s federal district courts, pro hac vice admission is increasingly used by subject matter experts who wish to practice outside their home jurisdictions. Pro hac vice admission is also common in single-plaintiff Ohio truck accidents, products liability, and other personal injury cases, as well as in Ohio commercial litigation matters in which out-of-state companies prefer to use their home-state counsel.
Southern District of Ohio Local Rules
Northern District of Ohio Local Rules
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Local Rules
Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure
Need Local Counsel in Ohio? Partner with Durst Kerridge Khatskin.
You can even call Alex Durst on his direct line at (513) 621-2500 or on his personal cellphone at (513) 620-4529.